" And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus."
Clovis Christian Schools began to offer a Christ-centered education to the Clovis community and surrounding areas in August 1994 at 800 Hinkle Street. This building was originally built by the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railroad in 1912 as the Santa Fe Hospital. On March 6, 1949, Central Baptist Church purchased the property and held their first service there on April 10, 1950. In April of 1994, Central Baptist Church sold the building and the entire city block surrounding it to Clovis Christian Schools, Inc. for $10.
Five churches - St. James Episcopal, Faith Christian Family, High Plains Baptist, First Baptist, and Central Christian contributed financially to begin CCS and comprised the founding Board, along with founders Chuck Glikas and Terry Osborne. Mr. Glikas led the effort to complete needed renovations to the building, which was damaged by fire in the summer of 1993, while Mrs. Osborne gathered policies, curriculum, staff, and students. The urgency to open CCS for the 1994-95 school year challenged the Board to cling to God’s promise given to them from Isaiah 41:20: “So that people may see and know, may consider and understand, that the hand of the Lord has done this, that the Holy One of Israel has created it.” On August 29, 1994, Clovis Christian Schools opened with over 100 students in grades K-12. Along with the A Beka Christian curriculum, electives included choir, drama, art, yearbook, Spanish, and band. CCS fielded teams in volleyball, elementary flag football and basketball, cheer squad, girls’ basketball, and track. CCS awarded one diploma to the single senior who graduated from the new school in May of 1995. That same year, Steve Medeiros became the school administrator, leading CCS in steady growth for 13 years.
Tammy Willard Garner led the establishment of The Eagle Foundation as a fundraising organization to help CCS. Their greatest accomplishment came in the spring of 2000 as a new gymnasium-cafeteria was completed. Five years later, in December of 2003, CCS received ACSI accreditation for the secondary school and enrollment reached 229 students. They also joined NMAA so students could participate in state activity competitions. That same year, CCS bought eight lots with seven houses on the block just south of the school. The houses were demolished, and the land was improved to create a fenced field for activities, including a football practice field. Subsequently, CCS received permission from the City of Clovis to close 8th Street.
As enrollment grew to over 300 students, a progressive group of dads sought property for expansion. In 2006, they found 80 acres on Humphrey Road for $240,000 and quickly raised $80,000 for a down payment. At the closing, God increased the 80 acres to 90 acres due to a miscalculation, and the seller agreed to stay with the original price. As the Board dreamed big for the relocation, God worked another miracle within a couple of months. A development corporation wanted to buy 40 acres to build a new residential area and was willing to pay $240,000 for it. As a result, God provided the new property absolutely free. With God’s direction, Board member, David Petty, began an incredible process of envisioning a new facility to meet the growing needs of CCS for many years to come. With an amazing outpouring of help from community businesses, friends, and parents, Phase I – a $3 million, 32,700 sq.ft. project opened as Clovis Christian Elementary School in January 2008.
In 2009, God transformed CCS through administrative changes when He called Dr. Ladona Clayton as Superintendent and Dr. Linda D’Amour as Elementary Principal. Upon answering God’s unmistakable call, they both realized that their personal and professional educational experiences had prepared them for taking CCS to the next level of God’s plan. They brought to CCS an expertise and passion not only for excellence in education but for equipping our community with a Biblical, Christian Worldview. Success was evident in 2012 as the visiting accreditation team named CCS “The Gem on the Prairie” for its academic excellence, innovation, and spiritual quality. Clovis Christian Schools merited full accreditation from the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI), North Central Accreditation Association (NCA-CASI), and the NM Public Education Department, as well as being the only 5-Star State Licensed Preschool in our area.